"New York may be the city that never sleeps, but Singapore's the city that never stops eating. For a gastro-tourist, somebody who travels to eat, any kind of serious eater, Singapore's probably the best place you can go…" --Anthony Bourdain
Good food is an abiding passion for Singaporeans--mainly because there's so much of it on the tiny, multi-cultural island. Singapore Cooking
is a compendium of local favorites by two of Singapore's best-known food personalities, Christopher Tan and his father Terry Tan.
This book features amazing recipes for the most fabulous Hainanese Chicken Rice and Singapore Chilli Crab you have ever tasted--as well as lesser known but equally delightful dishes like Ayam Tempra (Chicken Braised in Spicy Sweet Soy) and Nasi Ulam (Fresh Herbal Rice Salad). The recipes are easy to follow, accompanied by clear color photos, and include:
- Delicious Marinades, Chutneys, Sambals and Achars like Sweet Pineapple Relish and Roasted Coconut Sambal
- Famous local snacks like Curry Puffs, Bak Kut Teh Pork Rib Soup and Rojak Salad with Sweet Spicy Dressing
- Spicy noodle dishes like Mee Goreng Fried Egg Noodles and Laksa Rice Noodles with Spicy Coconut Broth
- Fabulous seafood recipes like Grilled Sambal Stingray, Gulai Prawns with Pineapple and of course, Chilli Crab
- Delightful meat and chicken dishes like Babi Assam Tamarind Pork and Chicken Wings in Dark Soy and Rice Wine
- Distinctive vegetable dishes like Eggplant Sambal and Nangka Lemak Young Jackfruit Coconut Curry
- Recipes for fabulous desserts like Nonya Pineapple Tarts and Coconut Pancakes with Banana Sauce
- And so much more!
Singaporean cooking has incorporated recipes and ingredients from Chinese, Indonesian, Malay, Indian, and Western cooking traditions and melded them together in a distinctive, flavorful way. Your acquaintance--or reacquaintance--with Singapore's food promises to be an unforgettable experience!About the Author:Terry Tan
is a distinguished cooking teacher, food consultant, food historian, and writer who has been dishing up Singaporean delights to people around the world for many years. He writes and broadcasts regularly on Asian and Oriental food and cookery from his base in London.Christopher Tan
is an award-winning writer, cooking instructor, and photographer who contributes articles, recipes and pictures to numerous magazines in Asia. Singaporean by birth, he grew up in London and now hangs out anywhere there is good food. You can find his work at www. foodfella.com. Edmond Ho
is a noted food, travel, and lifestyle photographer based in Singapore. In the late 1990s, he introduced a new style of food photography in Singapore using extreme close-ups and blurred backgrounds together with natural lighting. He has done shots for more than 25 cookbooks. David Thompson
is one of Australia's leading chefs, restaurateurs, and cookery writers. He is the owner of Sailors Thai in Sydney. In 2001, he opened Nahm in London's Halkin Hotel, which was awarded a Michelin star seven months later. In 2013, Nahm was listed as Asia's 3rd best restaurant and was recognized as one of the top 50 restaurants in the world. In 2018, he opened Aaharn in Hong Kong, and it was awarded a Michelin star in 2020 and 2021.