Children will get an inside look at Vietnam's vibrant culture, while learning through fun, hands-on games, songs, and activities! This multicultural children's book is perfect for story time at home or in a classroom, and is one children will come back to time and again.Young readers are introduced to many different aspects of Vietnamese culture, including:
- A brief look at the nation's history, from its mythological beginnings to its famous kings and heroes
- Tours of picturesque Halong Bay, the teeming streets of Hanoi and Saigon, the sand dunes of Mui Ne, the Dragon Bridge in Da Nang, the imperial palace in Hue, and many more colorful places!
- Try your hand at making authentic Vietnamese dishes including a Banh Mi sandwich, Fresh Spring Rolls and Moon Cakes to accompany the Mid-Autumn Festival celebration
- Re-live popular folktales and legends like "The Legend of the Areca Nut and the Betel Leaves" and "The Legend of Trong Com"
- Learn the beloved folk song "The Rice Drum" and the lively dance that accompanies it
- Experience the sights and sounds of the Tet New Year's celebration as well as other colorful festivals like the Feast of the Wandering Souls, the Mooncake Festival, the Kitchen God Festival, and the Hoi An Lantern Festival
- Learn to speak a few words of Vietnamese, including greetings and the proper way to say goodbye
- Make a beaded dragonfly; learn about Vietnamese manners and superstitions; celebrate birthdays, weddings, and important events; and taste the local fruits and delicious street food dishes!
Award-winning author Phuoc Thi Minh Tran is a Vietnamese librarian and storyteller who opens windows onto a culture she knows intimately in this lavishly-illustrated book. The charming full-color illustrations and photographs bring Vietnam's history and culture vividly to life.About the Author:Phuoc Thi Minh Tran
is the first Vietnamese librarian in Minnesota. A respected storyteller and a 2016 Minnesota State Fair Blue Ribbon author, she shares her knowledge of Vietnamese culture at cultural events, storytelling programs, conferences, libraries, universities, colleges and schools throughout the state and beyond. Her previous book, Vietnamese Children's Favorite Stories
, won the Anne Izard Storytellers' Choice Award, the Creative Child Magazine
Book of the Year Award, and the Moonbeam Children's Book Award.Thi Hop Nguyen
and Dong Nguyen
are the talented illustration team behind Tuttle's award-winning Vietnamese Children's Favorite Stories
and My First Book of Vietnamese Words: An ABC Rhyming Book of Vietnamese Language and Culture
. They live in California.